Get your ride ready for the season change this spring by going over your vehicle with these maintenance checklist items before car trouble strikes.
We all spring clean our homes – why not do the same for our vehicles? Living in Alberta we all know that Winter can really take a beating on your car, both internally and externally. A great time to address any vehicle related issues is now – rather than wait for the problem to build and build.
Now that we’ve convinced you to take a look at your vehicle’s maintenance and well-being, where do you begin? Follow this easy guideline to make sure you hit all the important items in keeping your car healthy and road ready!
- Windshield Wipers– it is important to inspect your windshield wiper blades because the freezing cold temperatures in winter can cause the rubber to lose its effectiveness. Replacing your blades is important for safety and visibility reasons which not only helps you but can save others.
- Evaluate Your Battery – make sure your battery is still good by getting it inspected. It can save you a frustrating morning when you try to leave for work and realize your battery is too far gone making you late and your boss mad.
- Check Your Oil Level- Make sure your oil level and quality is still good. Has it been a few thousand kilometers since your last Oil Change? Bring your vehicle by our Quick Lane and get your oil checked and changed.
- Check Your Air Conditioning – If you are lacking a cool breeze, you may find yourself needing to add more refrigerant. You may even have a clogged condenser, leak, or loose drive belt. It’s a good idea to get this checked before temperatures spike and you find yourself sweating while making a quick trip to the grocery store.
- Engine Check- Check to see if your engine needs more coolant. It might be a good idea to have a flush and fill performed or maybe you just need to add more coolant. We would hate to hear that your vehicle broke down due to a lack of coolant on a hot summer day.
- Inspect your Tires- check the treads on your tires. If they look worn, replace your tires. You may even need to swap your tires back to All-Seasons if you have put on Winter Tires. We recommend waiting for all ice to melt and for temperatures to begin to rise before doing so.
- Check your Tire Pressure – Under inflated tires simply do not perform as well as properly inflated tires. Be sure to check your tires for the recommended PSI, and stop at any gas station to quickly fill up your tires to the proper levels.
- Belts & Hoses – determine if you need to replace any belts or hoses by checking for swelling, cracks, or leaking. If something looks fishy, replace it because Summer’s humidity and heat will likely cause further damage.
Most of the items listed above are easy to do at home, but should you find yourself needing help in preparing your vehicle for Summer – stop by Ducharme Motors for professional service and help.
If you have any questions regarding vehicle maintenance you can call our Service Department at 780-826-3278 or stop by our Service Department from 7:30am-3:30am from Monday-Thursday, 7:30am-6:00pm on Friday, and 7:30am-5:00pm on Saturday.